R4H formerly known as Riders for Health (RFH) is a humanitarian non-governmental organisation working to assist the Ministry of Health and Population in establishing a well-coordinated, reliable national Sample Transport mechanism. R4H’s vision: “ensuring healthcare reaches everyone everywhere”.
To accomplish its mission, R4H wishes to recruit a suitably qualified, experienced and dedicated individual to fill the position of Grants Officer (1). The qualified person must be able to work effectively with a diverse group of people.
Reporting Line: Finance Manager
Duty Station- Lilongwe
The purpose of the Position
Reporting to the Finance Manager, the Grants Officer will manage all external, and internal programs and grant accounting for the organization. The Grants Officer is responsible for R4H’s day-to-day grant and programs accounting-related functions, including but not limited to financial compliance, financial management, accounting, budgeting, and budget monitoring per R4H’s policies, strategies, plans, and decisions made by the Board of Directors and Senior Management.
The Grants Officer will support all R4H staff in executing programmatic activities in the Office Finance & Accounting, Budgeting & Budget control in compliance with R4H and donor guidelines, policies and procedures.
- Enhance and maintain an adequate system for compliance, finance & accounting, & budgeting within R4H as required to facilitate the delivery of R4H’s programmatic objectives and achievement of results.
- Effective coordination, communication, and collaboration are established and maintained across R4H and within-country stakeholders for the effective and efficient financial management of grants and programs fully compliant with R4H internal control procedures and national policies/regulations.
- Essential financial office services are effectively provided to enhance staff productivity
- Review financial transactions to ensure accuracy of information and compliance;
- Make payments, such as reimbursements, cash advances, and direct transfers to vendors on time;
- Ensure financial vouchers and requisitions have sufficient supporting documentation;
- Oversee the finance and admin procedures to ensure that information and payment requests are reconciled against vouchers.
- Lead in the monthly grant and programs close processes;
- Reconcile monthly bank account balances;
- Review accounting transactions to ensure accuracy of information and compliance with policies and procedures;
- Prepare monthly preliminary and final financial statements for R4H programs;
- Use Grant Tracking and Preliminary report tool to coordinate with Program Managers in following up their monthly internal cash forecast, and measure project budget variance;
- Lead in the monitoring of financial activities for all programs and prepare expenditure reports for program managers as needed;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with program managers/staff members;
- Lead in the preparation of annual organizational budgets and periodic forecasts;
- Assist in preparing donor budget proposals as needed
- Assist in the preparation of audit financial statements if required.
Grant and Partnership Management
- Review all donation letters, independent contractor agreements and memoranda of understanding from financial management perspective prior to signing with partners/contractors
- Create a tracking system to monitor the progress of new agreements with partners and be responsible for record-keeping;
- Develop grants tracking tools to monitor performance and compliance;
- Review and analyze grant expenses and variances in consultation with supervisor to advise on expenditure trends and potential issues;
- Ensure that donor regulations are complied with in all grant transactions and processes of R4H;
Statutory and Regulatory Compliance
- Coordinate with auditors for annual audits and donor audits;
- Maintain banking relationships;
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Qualifications and experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Auditing, Accounting or an equivalent related professional qualification
- At least 5 years working experience in a similar position in a busy organization
- Progressive experience in donor fund management and understanding the environment of the cooperating partners, health public sector, NGO and private sector
- Good understanding of different donor requirements and procedures
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Understanding of internal controls
- Self-starter, effective team prayer and demonstrated verifiable result-oriented track record
- High levels of integrity, honesty, strong ethics but also a quick
- Must have ability to work against tight deadlines in a multi-donor and multi-program environment.
If you are interested and you meet the above requirements, please send your Motivation letter, Curriculum Vitae and Academic Certificates as one document including the names and contacts details of at least three traceable referees (at least one reference from your current employer or most recent employee, or any previous employer from the recent past) to the following email address; firstname.lastname@example.org . Closing date 16.00 hours on Friday 14th October 2022.
“R4H is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender or disabilities. R4H is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable people and therefore expects all staff and post holders to share this commitment”
Women are strongly encouraged to apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted