R4H (formerly known as Riders for Health) is an NGO working to improve healthcare delivery in Africa. It was founded in 1989 to address neglected development and health, transport, and logistics. In Malawi, since 2011, R4H has been working in healthcare logistics transporting clinical samples and results, undertaking healthcare waste management, and road safety training. R4H increases access to quality diagnostic and other health services, working in 764 health facilities from all 29 districts in Malawi.
R4H seeks to fill the open position of Finance Manager to support the upward trajectory of the organization.
- Role Description:
- Title: Finance Manager
- Location: Lilongwe, Malawi
- Reports To: Country Director
- Direct Reports:
- Senior Finance Officer
- Grants Officer
- Finance Officer
- Role Purpose:
Reporting to the Country Director, The Finance Manager is a key member of the Senior Leadership Team (SLT), serving as a strategic partner to the Country Director. She/he will lead all aspects of R4H’s financial management. She/he will work collaboratively to develop and/or improve systems, processes, controls, and procedures to improve the overall efficiency of R4H and ensure the excellent delivery of the program. She/he will oversee R4H’s financial management and will work with the finance team to provide timely, accurate and complete reports. She/he will be a steady, decisive, and effective partner to the Senior leadership team and will foster a success-oriented, accountable environment within the organization.
- Key Responsibilities for the Role
Key responsibilities (in summary) to successfully undertake the role include:
Strategy, Planning, and Management
- Prepare annual, operational, five-year strategic, and capital budgets.
- Assess and evaluate the financial performance of the organization with regard to long-term operational goals, budgets and forecasts.
- Identify, acquire, implement and maintain systems and software to provide critical financial and operational information.
- Create and establish yearly financial objectives that align with the organization’s plan for growth and expansion.
Financial Management, Financial Analysis, Budgeting and Forecasting:
- Oversee preparation of monthly financial reports, including monthly management accounts and conduct variance analysis.
- Review and analyze monthly financial results and provide recommendations.
- Ensure timeliness and accuracy of financial reporting for donors.
- Oversee preparation of cash flow projections.
- Oversee daily cash management and accounts payable operations.
- Oversee cost analysis of organization activities.
- Ensure regular maintenance of backup systems of data.
- Oversee the month-end close process, constantly reviewing procedures while eliminating inefficiencies.
- Utilize forward-looking models and activity-based analyses to provide financial insight into the organizations’ plans and operating budgets.
- Risk identification and mitigation, engage and advise the Country Director accordingly
Financial Relations, Policies and Compliance:
- Oversee preparations of documents for Board of Directors meetings.
- Implement policies, procedures, and processes as deemed appropriate by the Board of Directors and Country Director.
- Stay abreast of local and international news and trends that may impact the R4H’s financial operation.
- Represent organization at donor and other stakeholder meetings.
- Remain current on audit best practices as well as legal and policy frameworks regarding organization operations.
- Work with Human Resources and Administration to ensure appropriate legal compliance.
- Maintain banking relationships and strategic alliances with vendors and business partners.
- Conduct ongoing surveillance of risk areas and ensure organization and its assets are appropriately protected by insurance products, including but not limited to general liability, workers’ compensation etc.
- Serve as a key point of contact for external auditors and oversee external audits which includes preparation of financial statements.
- Identify, document, assess and communicate the compliance risks associated with R4H to Management and Board
- Ensure R4H’s compliance with financial laws, rules and standards.
- Assist management in educating staff on compliance issues and acting as a contact point within the organization for compliance queries from staff members.
- Identification and mitigation of risk related to compliance, engage and advise the Country Director accordingly
Team Management and Development
- Support recruitment, interviews, hiring and management accounting staff.
- Ensures all team members in the department are developed, motivated and engaged to continuously improve work performances.
- Ensure proper KPIs are developed commensurate with the department’s annual objectives and timely performance appraisal are conducted for the team members.
- Coach and mentor direct reports
Resource Mobilization (RM) and Business Development:
- Work in collaboration with the Business Development support team and the RM unit to develop relationships and initiatives to increase unrestricted funding.
- Prioritize building financial/programmatic sustainability by identifying and developing initiatives and proposals to secure additional funding.
- Partnership development and management with potential and existing partners to support RM outcomes.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting, or related field; additional accounting certification required (e.g., Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), etc.).
- Master’s Degree in related fields will be an added advantage
- Minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible financial management experience on donor-funded international development projects, including financial and accounting systems development, financial monitoring, budget development.
- Knowledge of and experience with financial accounting software with high degree of proficiency in relevant software packages such as QuickBooks, SAGE Pastel, Adobe, MS Word, and Excel
- Demonstrated leadership skills, versatility, and integrity; excellent organizational, analytical, interpersonal, and oral and written communications skills; demonstrated supervisory skills and ability to work well as a member of a team.
- Demonstrated financial management experience, including the preparation and management of budgets and contracts, and the management of banking activities and relationships.
- Proven experience in networking, public relations, communications, advocacy, and new business development; including knowledge of principles and practices governing CDC and/or other US Federal grant programs.
To apply for the available position, please send a motivation letter, CV, and copies of original degree certificates (originals will be required at the interview level) as one document to: firstname.lastname@example.org. R4H retains the right not to make the appointment and will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. The closing date for receiving applications is 17:00 hours on Friday 15th September 2023.
R4H is an equal opportunity employer and affords equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment regardless of race/ethnicity, color, religion, sex, age, or disability.