R4H (formerly known as Riders for Health) is an NGO working to improve healthcare delivery in Africa. It was founded in 1989 to address neglected development and health, transport, and logistics. In Malawi, since 2011, R4H has been working in healthcare logistics transporting clinical samples and results, undertaking healthcare waste management, and road safety training. R4H increases access to quality diagnostic and other health services, working in 764 health facilities from all 29 districts in Malawi. For further information please see www.r4hmw.org. R4H is also part of Riders International established in 1989 to address healthcare transport and logistics in Lesotho, Malawi, The Gambia, and Nigeria.
R4H seeks to fill the open position of Country Director to support the upward trajectory of the organization. R4H as an established and important role player in the health sector in Malawi has undertaken significant strides in sample and results transport nationally, grown healthcare waste management, and increased the number of those trained in road safety and
Title: Country Director
Location: Lilongwe, Malawi (Applicants preferred to be local Malawi Nationals)
Reports To: R4H Board of Directors and Head of Riders International
• Finance Manager
• Program Manager (2)
• MEAL Manager
• HR and Administration Manager
• Operations Manager and
• Strategy and Resource Mobilisation Adviser.
The Country Director supports the upward trajectory of the organization by providing strategic direction. She/he will promote R4H’s mission of making the last mile the most important mile in healthcare delivery by creating efficient solutions for achieving truly equitable and sustainable access to healthcare. This will be achieved by expanding, leading, and managing the R4H program strategy and team in collaboration with the R4H Board of Directors, Riders International, the Government, donors, and other key stakeholders in Malawi.
Key Responsibilities for the Role:
Key responsibilities (in summary) to successfully undertake the role include:
Demonstrate inspiring leadership in promoting the values, the vision and mission of R4H through provision of strategic vision, direction and leadership for R4H programmes, design and delivery of quality programmes and developing a cohesive motivated, productive and professional team.
- Develop and implement a long-term strategy for the R4H’s work in Malawi including R4H program strategy and vision, in collaboration with R4H Board of Directors and management team.
- Provide leadership in the day-to-day implementation of R4H programmes in Malawi, ensuring alignment to R4H strategic plan and organizational direction
- Lead the development, implementation and review of country operational plans, including annual workplan and budget, ad ensure alignment to R4H’s strategic plan
- Ensure the effective use of financial resources at all levels support programme service delivery, holding fiduciary responsibility for R4H as an entity
- Build, maintain and manage effective and efficient organisational operating systems to support programme service delivery such as finance, administration, ICT, and HR.
- Ensure the sound development, implementation and ongoing evaluation of all country-level operating systems, policies and procedures.
- Oversee development of staff supervision and recruitment systems, as well as staff development, training, mentoring, and performance assessment.
- Ensuring communication of clear expectations, setting performance objectives, providing regular and constructive performance feedback.
- Develop mechanisms to build the leadership and management capacity of the senior leadership team and mid-level managers.
- Provide regular updates and reports to R4H Board of Directors ensuring they are kept abreast on developments of R4H
Program and Technical Support:
Understanding programmatic and technical aspects of program needs and with the country team. Applying appropriate procedures, requirements, regulations, and policies ensuring technical goals are attained and programmatic commitments with donors and partners are met.
- Supervise the technical team, and ensure that the program meets quality standards, targets, and deliverables outlined in donor agreements, satisfying program commitments for service implementation.
- Ensure planning, execution, and ongoing monitoring of quality program implementation plans in achieving program targets consistent with donor and MOH expectations.
- Responsible for timely and effective monitoring, evaluation, and reporting on all program activities and progress updates to the MOH, donors, and R4H Board of Directors as appropriate.
- Support staff development to address the growing program and R4H’s needs related to achieve R4H’s mission.
- Provide the overall oversight and management of MEAL and Program functions.
Operations and Finance Management:
Supervising the Finance, Operations, HR, and Administration teams to ensure that the program’s corporate services support achieving R4H program deliverables in compliance with R4H, donor, and relevant legislative requirements. Ensures that R4H financial, grants, logistics, procurement, ICT, audit, and compliance teams are efficiently/effectively supporting program services and compliance.
- Oversee program implementation, operations, and reporting, ensuring compliance with R4H policies, USG rules/regulations, donor agreements, and MOH policies.
- Oversee management of program and operational budgets in accordance with the R4H’s procedures.
- Ensure submission of timely reports along with all supporting data, directly responsive to all fiscal matters.
- Ensure that the program’s human and financial resources are managed in line with R4H policies, donor requirements, and national policies/laws.
- Oversee the preparation of annual R4H operating plans, reviews, strategic and business plans, and proposals to other funders as appropriate.
- Provide the overall oversight and management of Finance, Operations, Human Resources, and Administration functions.
Representation and Partnership:
Act as the primary spokesperson for the R4H at all stakeholder levels, for both internal and external communications, and visitors including provision of reports and proposals to all stakeholders. Champion advocacy/policy efforts related to R4H’s mission at national and international levels identifying and influencing decision makers in funding opportunities.
- Represent R4H in critical forums including with Government, donors, local and international NGOs, academic institutions, private companies, and relevant stakeholders.
- Serve as R4H’s principal liaison with CDC/USG and other donors on matters related to the program, and ensure financial and programmatic accountability.
- Work with key CDC/USG or other donor staff to develop and maintain an optimal financial and programmatic relationship.
- Participation in sector activities through relevant platforms providing feedback and undertaking relevant activities with the R4H technical team.
- Develop and enhance sound relationships and communication between R4H and other Riders for Health Africa, the UK and USA country offices, and local and international stakeholders related to R4H program efforts.
Resource Mobilization (RM) and Business Development:
Maintaining and securing mid- to long-term funding for R4H by actively seeking diversified international and local sources of funding to meet and grow identified R4H program needs to achieve R4H’s mission.
- Work in collaboration with the Business Development support team and the RM unit to develop relationships and initiatives to increase unrestricted funding.
- Prioritize building financial/programmatic sustainability by identifying and developing initiatives and proposals to secure additional funding.
- Partnership development and management with potential and existing partners to support RM outcomes.
- Overseeing the effective functioning of the RM division of R4H.
- Undertaking communication/advocacy working with R4H staff.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher education (MD, MPH, MBA, MSc, MA).
- 8+ years of successful and demonstrated leadership experience in managing complex multi-sector programs/organizations, preferably in Malawi. Experience in Health/HIV programs is advantageous.
- 5+ years of experience in leading and managing staff, including recruitment, staff development, training, mentoring, and performance assessment; and demonstrated experience in leading organizations/ program compliance with donor, government, and organizational policies including strict adherence to procurement procedures.
- Proven track record of supporting, working, and providing technical assistance to
governments to design, implement and monitor HIV programs.
- Demonstrated financial management experience, including the preparation and management of budgets and contracts, and the management of banking activities and relationships.
- Proven experience in networking, public relations, communications, advocacy, and new business development; including knowledge of principles and practices governing CDC and/or other US Federal grant programs.
To apply for the available position, please send a motivation letter, CV, and copies of original degree certificates (originals will be required at the interview level) as one document to: firstname.lastname@example.org. R4H retains the right not to make the appointment and will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. The closing date for receiving applications is 13:00 hours on Friday 10th March 2023.
R4H is an equal opportunity employer and affords equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment regardless of race/ethnicity, color, religion, sex, age, or disability.